Welcome to go-ipad.org
June 28, 2017, 07:23:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Workout for Low Phe Levels  (Read 7466 times)
snielsen

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2010, 08:08:50 PM »

My average phe level was a 4.0.  As I got a level back of 0.3, I began investigating how that could be as I had the same amount of phe as always.  I realized the day before I drew my blood, I went on a 15 mile bike ride with a friend.  I didn't even think of it as exercise.  

Recently, a few adults with PKU decided to try a study on exercise and phe levels.  Anyone can try it as well.  You can begin at any time.  Here is the suggestion: 1. Record what you eat for two weeks (make sure you have the same amount of phe/day.) (I'm not sure how accurate exchanges will be with this, but try it anyway.). 2. For the first week, don't exercise any more than normal.  3. Take a level.  4. For the second week, choose one cardio exercise and spend one hour/day doing that. 5. Take another level. 6. Last, post your results to help us get a better idea of what kind of exercise helps lower levels.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 12:28:09 PM by snielsen » Logged
Go-IPad Admin
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 11:35:35 PM »

Bumping this thread. Hopefully more people will see this and give it a try. Very curious to hear what the results would be.
rands

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 03:23:03 PM »

This sounds cool. I am wondering what the difference in blood levels is on the actual day of exercise vs. a non-exercise day.  Just think if you had taken your levels within a couple of hours of completing that 15 mile ride? Would it have been even lower?
snielsen

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »

Although it took me a while to accomplish my own challenge, I have results.  Here is some background first: If I eat 400 mg phe/day, I get about a 4.0 level.  If I eat 650 mg phe/day, I get about a 6.5 level. My normal day consists of riding my bike to and from work (10 min each way), where I sit at a desk or stand in front of a classroom, and that is about the extent of my activity.

What I did: I ate 560 mg phe per day for 3 days.  This would have put my levels at about a 5.6.  On a Saturday, I had 560 mg plus 4 chicken quesadillas from the Outback Steakhouse (at least 800 mg more).  My husband and I rode our bikes to and from the restaurant totaling about 60 minutes of riding.  On Sunday and Monday, I resumed the 560 mg/ day diet.  My level was a 6.8!  

When it comes to spending money on either pills or a workout program, I would prefer the workout.   In speaking with a couple of other adults with PKU, I have heard of similar experiences.  If you have PKU and you want to increase tolerance, try starting a workout program and please post your results.

Because of these findings, I am trying to get adult group activities that involve “activity.”  The first idea I have is a dance.  The dance would include low phe refreshments.  We would have games and dance instructions for all.  I was thinking of inviting everyone but more focusing on adults who have PKU.  Maybe after this activity takes place, every PKU adult could take a blood sample and see what happens.  If you have any more ideas, please post them at http://www.go-ipad.org/ and we can get the party started.      
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 12:28:40 PM by snielsen » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: